Follow us up, get the latest information from Halden.

Jul 19

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Carbon Monoxide Awareness
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, toxic gas which interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood. CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.
Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological damage, illness, coma and death.
Symptoms of CO exposure
• Headaches, dizziness and drowsiness.
• Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest.
• Some Sources of Exposure
• Portable generators/generators in buildings.
• Concrete cutting saws, compressors.
• Power trowels, floor buffers, space heaters.
• Welding, gasoline powered pumps.
Preventing CO Exposure
• Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces, and basements. Opening windows and doors in an enclosed space may prevent CO build up.
• Make sure the generator has 3-4 feet of clear space on all sides and above it to ensure adequate ventilation.
• Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors, windows or vents which could allow CO to enter and build up in occupied spaces.
• When using space heaters and stoves ensure that they are in good working order to reduce CO build-up, and never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.
• Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed air, if available.
If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get to fresh air right away and seek immediate medical attention.